Friday, April 6, 2012

F - Family

Have you ever read a blog and wondered who the writer was talking about? You knew it was someone close to them and that maybe if you followed better you'd know, but you know...their life is not your life, etc. :)

I've often written about my family and wondered if the reader would know who I was talking about. We give incomplete pictures of who we are on blogs, sometimes out of security, sometimes from a lack of time to share it all, sometimes we just don't want you to know! Am I right?

Today I thought I'd share my family with you so that way if you follow, you'll know a little more about this crazy gang.
This is me (Angie) and my husband, Mark.
Mark was born and raised in the San Diego area (a true CA boy) and I was born and raised in central Illinois (a true Midwesterner). We met at a small Bible college in Wisconsin in the 80's and had a terribly interesting romance. (That's another post...R?)  We've been married 23 years and as the President of our College said to my Dad one day (when my Dad called to find out about this boy), "Life will always be an adventure with Mark." It's true! It's been an adventure, but one taken with my best friend. I couldn't imagine life without him.

The first addition to our family was Ashley. Ashley has Mark's temperament - easy going, quiet, with a touch of mischief/adventure. She was the easiest child to raise and I'm pretty sure the Lord knew I'd need that first if I were to have any more. Ashley is now almost 22 years old and will be graduating from college next month. She is married to her best friend, TJ, and they will be starting seminary this coming fall.  When I look at this picture of her I'm proud of the woman she has become. She's the sweetest person I know and I wish you all could meet her.  She writes over at Ridges and Ripples.
Ah, Rhett! My only son is very dear to my heart. This boy, in some ways, is a clone of me. We're both talkative, emotional, silly, and always working on a project that we probably won't see through to the end. Sometimes we will; it's a crapshoot.  Rhett's name means enthusiastic and he is that about everything he does in life. It's never dull when he's around!  Rhett is an eagle scout and can hang with the boys, but he's just as comfortable with the girls since he's had three sisters.  His passions are music and writing and he will be taking some general studies courses in college in the fall so he has a little more time to figure out what direction he wants to go with his major.  This 18-year-old boy loves the Lord and loves discussing spiritual things. I am a very proud mom and if you ever get to meet Rhett, you'd like him right away.  He writes at  My Imaginative Scribbles.
This sums it up!

Katie (Katherine Grace.) Katie blessed our family when Rhett was 8 1/2 years old. We didn't think we'd have any more children so her name, which means pure grace, was a perfect fit.  Sometimes we think it means we're supposed to give her pure grace 'cause this little girl is a dynamo. She has a firstborn's personality! She is a little planner/campaigner. She goes to sleep with plans and wakes up with plans. She likes to lead her crowd of friends, which includes other first born personalities so it can be challenging at times. We love Katie's drive and think that she will do something special in life. Besides wanting to take on the world this little girl, who is 10, has the softest heart. She is compassionate to others when they are hurt and remorseful when she's in the wrong.  I wish I could be more like her. She's a sweet blessing from the Lord.
And then there's Tara. Tara is the stereo-typical baby of the family. She is 15 months younger than Katie and will turn 9 this month.  She has a quick wit and an adventuresome personality. She is also very much like her Dad.  She dreams of becoming a Veterinarian and she also dreams of jumping out of a plane. She is easy to get along with (so she often goes along with Katie's plans), but she has her own mind and stands firm when needed.  Tara was born to live on the farm, but you'd have to pull her off the computer to get her outside. She just loves action/adventure wherever she can find it.  Tara has a special place in Momma's heart as my baby girl.

Here they are. Silly kids!

Thought you'd like to meet TJ before I close. TJ is a foot taller than my daughter, but is a gentle teddy bear of a guy. He loves the Lord and loves his family. He is good to Ashley and their first year of marriage has only deepened their bond. TJ has gotten Ashley into rock climbing and skiing and Ashley has expanded his food repertoire. TJ gets our family's goofy humor and fits right in. I couldn't have asked for a better son-in-law. I'm so thankful that the Lord has been gracious to give us a son so easy to love.

Do you feel like you know us any better? 
The Lord has been gracious to the Martens' gang and I am thankful for my family!

7 comments:

Nel said...

What a great post! It is nice to see them all at once with names attached. lol You have a beautiful family and have definitely been blessed!
until next time... nel

Sweet Tea said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful family with us - and they are BEAUTIFUL!! The youngest two look like twins! The oldest daughter looks like you, and Rhett, not sure who he looks like, but I LOVE his name..You are richly blessed!

gail said...

I felt what must be love for your family from the first post I read and the first picture I saw of them!

Judy said...

What a beautiful family you have! So glad you shared them with us!

g-girl said...

You have definitely been blessed with such a wonderful family. :) Thanks for sharing them with us!

Brenda said...

I sure do! Thanks for sharing your family with us!

Conny said...

you are so blessed! i love reading about people's families ... especially those with those unexpected "bonus blessings" ... I have one (9 years after her oldest sibling) - and I can't imagine my life without her!!!
I too met my husband at a "small Bible college" ... in Tennessee (Tennessee Temple in Chattanooga) over 20 years ago - wow, so long - are we really THAT old?!! LOL