Monday, April 2, 2012

B - Books (My Children's Favorites)

As a homeschool family we read A LOT of books.
I thought I'd share some of our favorites.

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch and Sheila McGraw
was introduced to me when I was in a Mother's of Preschoolers (MOPS) group. This book makes me cry every time. Both parents and kids love it!


The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
is a favorite book from my own childhood! Sometimes I feel like the story reflects my own life - moving from the city to the country.


My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
was one of the first books that got my son interested in reading.
We've recommended it to many boys throughout the years. (girls too.)
There are two other books after this first one:
On The Far Side of the Mountain and
Frightful's Mountain, but we haven't read those...yet.


King Bidgood's In The Bathtub by Audrey Wood
is such a funny book and the illustrations are amazing!


Three Little Kittens by Paul Galdone
is such a wonderful version of the classic poem.
Paul Galdone's illustrations are so comical; the kitten's expressions will make you laugh without even having to read the words. We love this author's books - all of them!
Piggie and Gerald books by Mo Willems
are the best! For early readers the words are easy to read. What I love most about these books is that they can't be read without expression. They really help your kids learn to read enthusiastically. We still pull out these books for laughs. They are unexpected and sweet.


Another popular series  at our house is
Babymouse books by Matthew Holm and  Jennifer L. Holm.
One of my daughters can sit and read these for hours and she owns them all. They are comic book style stories that appeal to elementary age girls.

I saved the best for last!

Miss Fannie's Hat by Jan Karon
is a delightful (and true) story about Jan Karon's grandmother at Eastertime. We choose this book to give as a gift whenever we get the chance. It is a lovely story with beautiful illustrations. If you've loved the Mitford Series books (Jan's adult fiction), you will love her children fiction, as well. Hint: if you can find one of the hardcovers that include a CD of Jan Karon reading the story, spend the extra to get it! It's extra special!


7 comments:

gail said...

Two down, twenty-four to go!

Brenda said...

My daughter loved the Amelia Bedelia books, in fact every once in awhile she'll grab on and read it...of course in a minute now that she's in 5th grade!
Right now she's still loving the American Girl books and Animal Ark...in fact I enjoy reading them with her too!

Joyce said...

Someday I want to do a post on our favorite children's books. There are so many and I still enjoy looking thru new books that come out even though I no longer have little ones to read to at home.

Good luck with the challenge!

Nikki said...

This was a lovely post! I adore children's books and am always on the look-out for ones to buy as gifts. I dream of having a huge library of amazing books for my future children!

Thank you for your comment on my post :) I'm looking forward to your next post!

Nikki – inspire nordic

Judy said...

My grown son gave me Love You Forever for Mother's Day a couple of years ago - - it is my most treasured book :)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Shockingly, I have only read the first one! It also makes me cry each time I read it. We'll have to check out the others.

I'm your co-host for the A-to-Z! If you didn't get an email from me the other day, it may have gone in your spam box. Please feel free to contact me via my profile or reply to that email if you need anything or have any questions.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

Nel said...

I love children's books. My daughter has about all the golden books that were out when she was growing up. Love You Forever was always one of our favorite books! I don't recognize the others.
I have a bookshelf at my house in Arkansas for the grandkids.
until next time... nel