Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English in 2012- amazing, baby bump, shared sacrifice, occupy, blowback, man cave, the new normal, pet parent, win the future, trickeration, ginormous, and thank you in advance.

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why?

I love amazing and ginormous; haven't even heard of pet parent, win the future or trickeration - hmm.

"Thank you in advance" should be banished. Don't thank me ahead of time, thank me when you get there or at the time I actually help you out. Don't be lazy. Take the time to thank me when it's appropriate, not in advance. Do we say, "I'm sorry in advance"? No! However, my husband would probably like to use that phrase, at least once a month. Or maybe I should use that one!

2. Are you easily embarrassed?

Uh...I get my phrasing all twisted up. I try to be funny and sometimes it comes out WRONG. That's embarrassing.
Otherwise, I'm good.

3. What is your go-to snack?

I love Dove caramels. They are my therapy.
My go-to snack...maybe popcorn.

4. Have you ever been to Washington D.C.? If not do you have any desire to go? What site/attraction would you most want to see in that city? If you have been, what's your favorite site/attraction?

I live here.
Fave site: Roosevelt memorial at night with the back lit waterfalls.


5. sit ups-planks-lunges-squats...which do you hate the least?

I LOVE sit-ups. Really. It's disturbing.

6. What's a small act of kindness you were shown that you've never forgotten?

I have dreams of someday becoming a speaker. I have a friend, who after hearing me speak wrote me an encouraging note saying something to the effect of "when you're famous, I'll be able to say I knew you when."  I kept the note and it is one of my treasured possessions. Something I'll never forget. Thanks 'fia!

7. Have you ever been a blood donor?

No.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I've rewritten the answer to # 7 several times. Sometimes it gets a little tricky when you deal with personal details on a blog.  Do I mention where I live? Do I reveal medical conditions? Do I share the names/ages of my kids? Do I talk about people I know who live abroad? You really have to remember you're not just writing to close friends/family, but to anyone who has access to the world-wide web.  I try to share information in a general way, enough to share my life, but not enough for you to find out when I'm going on vacation!  Sometimes that means a boring, "No" in answer to your question, but I'm ok with that.


The Wednesday Hodgepodge is a question/answer post hosted by
Joyce From This Side of the Pond. 
Just click the button and join us!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I agree...it's tricky to know what to say when. I was keeping something quiet and my daughter put it on her blog : ) It was harmless but I find this generation who has grown up with technology doesn't think about privacy in the way we do.