Saturday, January 14, 2012

Practicing Gratitude


1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

This was one of my kid's Awana verses this week. Don't you just love listening to them practice memorizing the Word? I'm so thankful when I hear them quickly recite the verses, knowing that in the future the Lord will bring them to memory during the times they'll need it most. Kingdom work.

I think I mentioned that I started a new habit of keeping a gratitude journal. Each night before bed I write down 5 things I am thankful for that day. During this exercise I sometimes wonder if it is really making me more grateful, but I do believe it is. Just this month I've written the serious to the silly... I'm thankful for the conversation about heaven with my kids to I'm thankful for brownies with crunchy edges. :) Paul instructs us to give thanks in all circumstances, because it's God's will for us. Sometimes that's hard, but I think the practicing of it, just like practicing the memorization of Scripture, can make it a little easier so when the time comes and we really need it, we'll be ready. Kingdom work.

1 comment:

gail said...

"Write it on their hearts..." Good work.