Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goals


I love making New Year's Goals. (Have I lost you already?)

I spend a great deal of time between Christmas and New Year's thinking about what I want to accomplish during the upcoming year.  I have to chuckle when someone says that they don't make New Year's goals, but that they want to work on ...(a number of "goals" for lack of a better word.)  Whether you take a sit-down-and-plan approach or you think about what could be improved upon in the big-picture-kind-of-way, I encourage you to have something for which to aim.

The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting goals and achieving them. Even the most tedious chore will become endurable as you parade through each day convinced that every task, no matter how menial or boring, brings you closer to fulfilling your dreams. - Og Mandino

If you go to work on your goals, your goals will go to work on you. If you go to work on your plan, your plan will go to work on you. Whatever good things we build end up building us. - Jim Rohn

I'm a big believer in growth. Life is not about achievement, it's about learning and growth, and developing qualities like compassion, patience, perseverance, love, and joy, and so forth. And so if that is the case, then I think our goals should include something which stretches us. - Jack Canfield

When creating goals it's important to be:

S - specific, significant, stretching

M - measurable, meaningful, motivational

A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented

R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented

T - time-based, timely, tangible, trackable

For further reading about SMART goals, go here.

I use the following monthly chart (created in Word) to keep track of my goals. I love marking off each day as I accomplish my goal. (click chart to view larger)


In 2011 I kept a monthly record most of the year, which was a BIG step for me. I finally feel like I am being more consistent in accomplishing my goals.

I have a few areas that I need prolonged accountability - areas that I will work the whole year, not just one month at a time.  I decided to create another chart for those.

I can write the goal down the side and then track each week as I work on it! I'm hoping that seeing a year tick off one day at a time will be extra motivation.

I will put these charts and other working lists in a plastic pocket folder, the ones that are spiral and have 6-8 pockets. Love those!  I keep my running to-do list, my menu, running grocery list, etc all in one neat spot.  It's my working folder and it works for me!

If you're interested in copies of the charts above, just send me an email at: angie@creativityltd.com. I'd be happy to send them to you.

Are you going to set 2012 goals? Let me know what keeps you motivated!

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Jewel said...

Well, I've not been one to set many goals in my life but you are almost inspiring me to do so, Angie! I mean, I just turned 60 and what better time to start, hm? I've just never been sure as in how to do it.

Sweet Tea said...

I love a good List, Angie. You're my kind a girl and I need you to come along behind me and give me a good swift kick in the butt from time to time to keep me going. I'm dragging my feet on setting a goal this year, but trust me, I know I NEED to do it. Soon. Very soon.

gail said...

The fruit of the Spirit is always a good goal!

For the last year, I have worked to take off weight and exercise for health and, a bit of vanity! I am five pounds away from my goal of 50 pounds and feeling much better.

For this year, a goal is to keep it off and continue to exercise!

Joyce said...

I set goals and encourage my girls to do the same. I think life just kind of happens to us without goals. Sometimes it happens even with goals but if we want to accomplish anything we need a plan. We may have to change the plan mid course but I don't do well without any structure at all. That's when I get lazy.

Happy 2012 and best of luck in accomplishing all you've set out to do this year!