Join us, won't ya!
If the delayed gratification includes spending money, then I have a good amount of self-control. If it's rewarding myself with time on the computer or watching a favorite tv show, then I might blow off the work I should be doing. It will be there tomorrow, right? We ALL have areas of self-control we can work on!
2. Maybe a marshmallow wouldn't be too difficult a temptation for you. What food (or anything else) would be most tempting?
3. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being saintly) how patient are you?
Wow, Lid...on any given day, I can practically top the scales AND mine the depths. My children would say I was patient everyday but Friday (when we clean the house!)
4. Have you ever waited for something in life only to be disappointed upon realization of the goal/object/etc.?
Just keepin it real, here - Marriage! I would say I had the "Disney Princess" idea of marriage, so what a shocker it was that marriage didn't look anything like "happily ever after." BUT I have been married 21 years to my BEST FRIEND and we have weathered many storms together. I would not be able to "do life" without him! So, although my expectation was askew, the partnership was a success.
5. Are you a person who takes shortcuts?
Don't know what those are! I struggle with perfectionism; shortcuts are not in my vocabulary. I wish they were sometimes.
6. Which line is hardest to wait in?
Ah, back to last week's driving! It's difficult to wait in rush hour traffic while cheaters are going around in the off ramp trying to get ahead. If I were a cartoon character you would see steam coming out of my ears!
BTW, my kids made me listen to a Phineas & Ferb music CD last night in rush hour. The songs were so lame and we were laughing so much that I didn't get cranked up about the other drivers. We may have to start a new tradition.
7. Did you wait to discover the gender of your unborn child until its birth?
# 1 - we waited (a girl), # 2 - we found out 3 weeks before HE was born, # 3 & # 4 - we found out early on (girls).
8. Are you more patient with children or the elderly?
I think I'm patient with both. It's the people my age that make me a little crazy.
9. Did you ever sneak a peek at a present?
I did once as a kid when the wrapping was ripped on a present under the tree. I disliked already knowing what the gift was when I opened it so I never peeked again.
10. What is the longest you've ever waited for anything?
Nothing jumps to mind, except my Kitchen Aid mixer. My husband surprised me by using our Amex reward points to get the mixer for me about 5 or 6 years ago. I had probably been married about 15 years at the time.
11. Who has more patience, you or your significant other?
I would say we have patience with different things/scenarios. I'd say we're mostly equal on the patience scale, but he may tip it his way, JUST A LITTLE, because of his calm personality.
12. Which of the following songs about waiting is your pick for the best?
(OK, you may substitute another, if you like.)
A) Anticipation by Carly Simon
B) The Waiting by Tom Petty
C) Right Here Waiting for You by Richard Marx
D) Wait for Me by Rebecca St. James
I only know ONE of the songs above. The "waiting" song that quickly jumped to mind was "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller. LOVE THAT SONG. It's on my inspiration playlist on my IPod. (CD on sale for $6.99 on Itunes right now!)