Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Random Dozen - Thanksgiving Style!

1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous?

Tradition rules - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade dinner rolls, deviled eggs, olives, followed by pies - chocolate, apple & pumpkin.

2. Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.")

Besides my family, I'm thankful for the first crocheted throw that I made and gave to my grandmother. It was returned to me by my mother today and it now lays over a chair in my living room.

3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for.

Memories. Losing my grandmother two weeks ago makes me especially thankful for memories.

4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.

One Thanksgiving morning I went to take a shower and my usual clear conditioner was empty. Because it was a holiday and we lived 45 minutes from the nearest store, I had to make due with another conditioner that was used by my Dad and brother. All seemed fine, until as we were eating the meal I began to itch. I kept itching to myself quietly until one of my family members looked at me and gasped. I had hives covering my face. Actually, I had hives from head to toe - wherever the conditioner had touched me. It was the first incident that helped us realize that I was allergic to product dyes.

5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year?

My father and husband will eat too much and nap on the living room floor.

6. Do your pets get any left-overs?

Yes, when we had pets our dog got some turkey scraps.

7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying?

We pray before every meal, including Thanksgiving. We stand if it's a big crowd eating in different rooms and sit if everyone can fit into the dining room. It is a spontaneous prayer given by the patriarch, my father.

8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing?

There will be football games playing in the background, but we'll usually be playing games as well.

9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing?

Gross!!

10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving?

I'm a homeschool mom...that's a "duh" around here. :)

11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying?

As mentioned above, I'll be making 3 kinds, but I'll be eating the pumpkin! I've been waiting for months!

12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen!)

When I was a kid I felt sorry for the turkey. I wanted the President to pardon ALL the turkeys and I was mad at him for only choosing one. Now, C'est la vie!

PS. PLEASE COME BACK FOR MY 100TH POST; I'LL BE HAVING A GIVEAWAY!


No comments: