Monday, April 13, 2009

Corner Clean-up!

Sometime last year I went to the website of a well-known author and speaker. On her website she kept a journal, which was very much like a blog. I read through several of her entries and came across a list of her favorite blogs. One of them was Sarah's. I really enjoyed Sarah's postings and have been following her blog ever since.

When I decided to begin my own blog I looked at several others for design concepts and one of the ideas I borrowed was Sarah's "On My Nightstand." She keeps a running list of the books she is reading on her sidebar. I decided that I would make my own version of that idea and since my books are stacked beside my bed I called it "In A Stack By My Bed." ( so creative!)

Well, a few weeks ago Sarah made some design changes and added a beautiful picture of a night stand to her sidebar. I'm assuming it is her nightstand and it's just inviting! I immediately wanted to clean up my corner of the bedroom and make my "stacks" inviting, as well. (My husband thanks you, Sarah!) I kept thinking about the process and where I was going to move some things, but it wasn't until late last week that I actually starting assessing the damage and cleaning up the corner.

I pulled all the books and magazines out from the wall and vacuumed up the dust bunnies. I then began sorting the books. I had books from the library in one stack, books loaned to me by friends and family in another and the rest were my own that I've purchased (mostly at Green Valley Book Fair.) BTW, if you live in Virginia and you haven't discovered the Book Fair...oh, my! You MUST find a friend and go! Your life will never be the same - ha!

Anyway, here's a picture of what was beside my bed:

My first thought was that the picture doesn't do it justice. I don't know how many nightstands it would take to hold all of that reading material. I decided to count the books...just as a laugh, as my boys were watching the psychosis unfold. There were (drum roll, please...)

71 books, plus the green bin and blue bag full of magazines.

I'm telling you it's a sickness. I literally sat back and was speechless. That doesn't happen often. The boys asked me what I thought and I seriously squeaked out a little noise...I couldn't BELIEVE it! 71! 71! I couldn't even read that many in a year (I don't think!)

So...you know what I did...scooted them all back around the nightstand base and gave it the best Scarlet O'Hara drama I could..."tomorrow is another day!"

BTW, I did not fail to notice the irony of the top book on the left that is titled, "Take Time for Your Life." Funny!

Obviously, I need a little more "noodling" (using my noodle to come up with a plan) and then hopefully, there will be a good ending to the story...with a pretty corner to boot!

1 comment:

Nel said...

Came here thru your link. Just one question. Is the nightstand not supposed to look like that? lolol My corner in the bedroom looks a lot like that. Oh well...

until next time... nel