Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Random Dozen Spring


SouthLakesMom at I Didn't Know That! says:

I am privileged to have the Random Dozen in my neck of the woods this week. Thank you to Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee for trusting me with her 'baby'.

You know the rules -- copy and paste the questions onto your blog. Answer them TOMORROW (WEDNESDAY) on your blog. Link back with Mr. Linky to this blog, and then go visit at least one dozen random players and make nice comments about their answers! Simple...if you don't have a blog, you can cut and paste your answers into the comments below.

The theme is Spring . . . and any other random questions that crept in.

1. What is your favorite sign of Spring?

In D.C. it's Cherry Blossoms and Daffodils...like Barnes & Noble or Lucy & Desi, they just go together!

2. Did you remember to spring forward on March 14? If not, how did it impact your day?

Totally remembered. Tired all day! (and the day after that.)

3. If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what vegetable would you plant in a garden this year?

Oh, so many to choose from. I love the smell of onions wafting on the breeze, but I love eating fresh green beans and there's something therapeutic about snapping those beans too.

4. If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what fruit would you plant?

If I had how many years to reap a big harvest? I would plant blackberries.

5. What is your least favorite insect?

# 1 - Roaches gross me out, but mosquitoes annoy me. Bugs are not my friends.

6. March 22 was World Water Day. To celebrate, here are some water questions. Do you drink bottled water? If so, what brand?

No, I fill a water bottle with my Britta filtered from the tap.

7. Have you ever been somewhere that it was not safe to drink the local water? If so, how did you handle that?

Yes, we took our own flats of bottled water to drink while on the trip.

BUT I do have a story for you! When we moved from CA to WI for my husband to take some college courses, all four of our family members got very sick when we arrived. We were immediately sick for about 3 days, then went back to eating soup and trying to get our systems back to normal. About 4-5 days later we were all violently ill again. This happened three times!

Finally, I went to a friend who owned a health food store and asked her advice. She said it was the water! In Wisconsin! She said it was so filled with pesticides from farming that our bodies were not used to it. We would drink it, then get sick, stop drinking it/sipping on 7 up or something while sick and get better, then drink it again as we recovered only to fall sick again.

So we banned all local water in our house and immediately recovered. We did have to live there for 18 months so we introduced the contaminated water to our systems through teeth brushing and ice cubes s-l-o-w-l-y and ended up being able to cook and clean with it. I did filter for our drinks, as you can imagine.

8. How many glasses of water do you drink per day? 6-8 every day. Love my water.

9. March 24 is the birthday of Harry Houdini. Have you ever watched a professional magic show? Share.

Yes, we like to attend the resort magic show when we go on vacation to the mountains every Autumn. It's very professional, family-friendly and includes audience participation which makes for great laughs.

10. Have you ever been a participant in a professional magic show (up on stage!)? Nope.

11. March 24 is also the birthday of Steve McQueen and Clyde Barrow. Do you like Westerns or gangster movies? If so, what is your favorite?

Not a fan of gangsters; I often like Westerns. Silverado is my favorite. It's almost in a genre of it's own: Western/Comedy.

12. (Really random) What U.S. state that you've never visited would you like to visit someday?

Alaska. Love the cold. Want to see whales. A cruise, maybe?

Thanks, SouthLakesMom! Good Job!

7 comments:

Joyce said...

I love the cherry blossoms too...we had a huge cherry tree in our front yard in England that I am really missing. However, at this point, in NJ, I'm just happy to say the snow has finally melted : )

Jewel said...

I've always wanted to go to Washington for the Cherry Blossoms but, alas, I am probably too late again this year, too, hm? *sigh*
Loved reading your answers, Angie! :-)

SouthLakesMom said...

Thank you for the compliment and support! I'm in your neck of the woods as Cherry Blossoms are about to pop and the daffys are all over!

I'd love to see Alaska too. Maybe we can do a Random Dozen cruise some day!

Mary said...

Alaska was my choice, too. Loved your pictures in #1!

2cats said...

You got sick on Wisconsin water after drinking California water. I am amazed.
Silverado is a favorite of mine also. Love that movie.

Lisa Laree said...

I said 'Alaska', too...it's more popular than I expected!

I enjoyed reading your answers! Glad I 'randomly' picked your link!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Angie! I love these things where you get to know people more. And I'll watch SILVERADO with you anytime!! LOVE that movie!

P.S. Equating me with Seinfeld for hilarity just won you my heart for life! lol