Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hodgepodge New Year

Join us at Joyce's place for Hodgepodge fun.

1. How did you ring in the new year?

I'm so glad you asked because I went to my first dance! Yes, really, my first one. Friends invited our family to the event where we sash shayed the night away to folk dances from the 1800's. Dances like the Virginia Reel. It was a workout! We have been talking about it all day today and can't wait to make it a yearly tradition.  Tip for next year: wear comfortable shoes.

2. What is one thing you are looking forward to in 2013?

My husband finishing his MBA. Right now he works full-time, studies full-time and adds a little bit of farming on the side. Who knows what he'll do with himself when he's done with school!

3. Steven Spielberg is quoted as saying, "All of us every single year, we're a different person. I don't think we're the same person all our lives." What say you?

Absolutely, true for me! I am a very goal-oriented person and I saw a lot of growth in several areas last year. If you experience new things and have to interact with new people, then you will become a different person.

4. The Pantone color of the year for 2013 is emerald green. Like or dislike? Do you already own something this color? Will you add something in this shade to your home or wardrobe in 2013?

I saw that was the new color and I LOVE it! I don't own anything in that color right now (but I did in the 80's.) If it makes it's way into fashion, I will definitely add it to my wardrobe.  My winter coloring will love it!

5. Speaking of emerald...what's your favorite gemstone? 

Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

6. Share a favorite book or movie from 2012.

My favorite book in 2012 (you can see what I read in the page tab at the top of the blog) was The Runaway Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverinni.  I loved the story of how a quilt played into the underground railroad and I intend on making a replica of that quilt this year.

7. What is something you want to tell yourself at the start of this brand new year?

I read the January 1st entry in My Utmost For His Highest and decided to give 2013 a theme phrase: "My Best for His Glory." 

8. Insert your own random thought here.

 

We were in a church hall, not a barn and most  of the 75-100 attendees were dressed in modern dress clothes, but we were about this "rough" and it was such a good time. It's just too bad we have to wait a whole year to do it again.

12 comments:

Joyce said...

Sounds like fun! Happy New Year to you and your family!

retired not tired said...

Your dance sounds wonderful. I haven't done hte Virginia Reel in years. We spend more time with tango and foxtrot now.

Conny said...

how super fun that you went to an old fashioned dance!!!! :) We saw some of these dances demonstrated at a home school thing we went to once ... looks like FUN (and a work out!).

Anonymous said...

The dance sounds like a lot of fun! What a great way to ring in the new year!

Thanks for that book recommendation. Several years ago, I read three of the books in the series. It got me interested in quilting, although I discovered that I much prefer READING about it than doing it. Still, the backdrop is a warm one. I will have to catch up on this series during the summer when school is out (I'm a teacher).

J.Day said...

That dance looks like a lot of fun and a lot work! :o)

Krista said...

The dance sounds like a great time! I love to find new ways to celebrate and it sounds like you have a great one !!

Anonymous said...

The Virginia Reel is always a fun dance! :) Glad you got to experience it!

Rebecca Jo said...

I'm with you... diamonds!

loving hearing about good books! I'll have to check that one out.

Maude Lynn said...

I love your theme phrase!

Wayne W Smith said...

Wish your husband the best of luck completing his MBA! Wishing you and yours a very happy new year!

Elizabeth Sara said...

I also went to my first dance!

gail said...

I have friends who square dance every week! There is no need to wait.