Saturday, February 4, 2012

Worship


Today I continued my Bible reading in Matthew, chapter 26. I was reading about Mary (Martha's sister) who takes the alabaster flask of costly fragrant oil and anoints the Lord's head and feet. The disciples (spearheaded by Judas) complain that the oil could have been sold and the money given to the poor, but Jesus answers that "she has done a good work for Me." He also says that "wherever the gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her." (v. 13)

I was quickly convicted about my own worship of the Lord? Is it lavish? Is it costly? (maybe in time for us!) Is whole-hearted and authentic?

How sweet of the Lord to reward Mary's love gift by sharing her story throughout the rest of time. I'm sure it didn't matter; she just loved the Lord and wanted to demonstrate it.

I am so often reserved in my worship, holding back a little, wondering what would others think of me. I'm not just talking about raising my hands in church. I mean when the Holy Spirit prompts me to act in a way that is beyond my usual comfort zone, sometimes I ignore that still small voice. How many blessings have I missed because I was afraid to worship with abandon.

Worship looks different for each of us. I challenge you to listen this week to the Holy Spirit's prompting about how to worship Him authentically and passionately. The satisfaction of spending that time in abandon with Him will be a rich reward.

If you'd like to share a moment of sweet worship that you've had with the Lord, I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

gail said...

I love how you write with abandon!

Diane said...

There is a thought that every act of obedience is also an act of worship - listening to the Spirit's voice and immediately acting on it, rather than holding back. I'm no model of it, but am working to listen and obey more often, in particular in reaching out to help others in the body.