Friday, March 13, 2009

In A Stack...Report

On the sidebar of my blog I keep a running track of the books I am reading. This is strictly for motivation to actually finish reading some of the books I pick up. I've decided I would write about my selections and share the good or maybe not-so-good reviews with you all.

Blogging in a Snap by Julie C. Meloni is the first blogging book I read. This book is clear, concise and easy to navigate. I went from knowing nothing about weblogs to feeling very comfortable creating and maintaining two blogs by myself in a matter of a couple of days. This book specifically addresses blogs on Blogger and was published in 2006. There have been a few modifications to Blogger since its publication, but those changes make Blogger even easier to use. This book walks you through "blog world" every step of the way with screen illustrations. I've created links, uploaded pictures, customized my template and even tweaked the html. If you want to begin a blog using Blogger, this is a must-see book!

Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber caught my eye in the new books section of the library. The cover illustration looked inviting. I'm not usually into light fiction or NY Times best-selling authors in general, but I thought I'd give the book a try.

The main character of Twenty Wishes is Anne Marie, a widow who owns a Seattle bookstore. Anne Marie invites fellow widows to the bookstore after closing on Valentine's Day to celebrate. "They each begin a list of twenty wishes, things they always wanted to do but never did." Each widow embarks on fulfilling some of their wishes on their lists, but, of course, unexpected things begin to happen. The main themes in the book are friendship, romance, compassion for those less fortunate and trying new things.

This is not a Christian book, although one character prays at mealtimes and bedtime and regularly attends church. There is romance, but I did not find it distasteful and I do not recall any objectionable language. In my opinion, the main story line of Ann Marie's relationships with the "daughters" in her life makes this book an enjoyable light read. The book would make an endearing Lifetime channel movie. If for no other reason, this book is fun because it may inspire you to make your own list of twenty wishes.

No comments: