Saturday, July 4, 2009

Restraint...how long can it last?

On Thursday night I took back a stack of library books, all of which I wanted to check out again because I had not really read much of any particular one. Frustrating. I made myself a list in this little notebook and then lugged the stack back to the library (actually my hubby did the lugging for me - he's a keeper).

Cute, right?! Easy to take to the library with me.

In my little notebook there are numerous pages of book lists reminding me of all the books I've perused, but never really read. I finally got fed up with myself (at least for a little while) and have decide to choose 1-3 books at a time AND actually, read them.

half of the notebook is full of lists...I think it's time to READ!

As you can see on my sidebar, I have deleted my long list and am now limiting myself to just a few selections. We'll see how long this lasts! I'm hoping that I'll actually be able to delete some of those books off of the lists sometime soon. Plus, if you'll remember this post, I would like to recover my nightstand at some point in my lifetime.

So you don't think I'm a total delinquent, here's:

In A Stack Report 3.5 (only gets a half point because I'm only commenting on one light read!)

A Treasury of White House Tales by Webb Garrison and Beth Wieder is a light read - perfect for those times you have just a few minutes to read a small chapter or two. The book is adequately written and the stories are engaging and enjoyable. One reviewer on Amazon stated she thought the book should be required in History classes since an enjoyable story is more likely to be remembered rather than impersonal facts. I enjoyed the book for these reasons and I think any 6th grader on up would enjoy them for the same. If you find Presidential History fascinating, then you'll love these anecdotal glimpses into the White House.

Happy 4th of July, Everyone!

No comments: