Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge October 24


Join us at Joyce's for the Wednesday Hodgepodge.
1.  So, do you like beer? 
Never tasted it, never will. Smells horrible.
2.  What's your least favorite repetitive task? 
Laundry. It never ends.

3.  When was the last time you rode a bus?  Where was it headed? 
I can't remember when I last rode a bus; it's been many many years. The last time I got ON a bus was probably 9+ years ago. I was getting my daughter settled on a tour-type bus that would be taking her to Beach Week with our youth group. 
4.  What song from your childhood or from your own children's childhood could make a parent's nerves stand on end? 
Jeremiah was a Bullfrog. I used to sing it over and over while swinging on the swing set. Or it could have been the song about Running Bear and Little White Dove that we used to sing on drives to/from vacation. That one got us moved to the bed of the truck so they couldn't hear us anymore. : ) Joyce, there's an innate pleasure in remembering how those songs made my parents crazy!! 
5.  The US Presidential election cycle is drawing to a close (can I get an AMEN??), and the third and final debate was held last night...what was the last thing you 'debated about'?
Ideas and thoughts are challenged around here daily, but they're  so minor I can't remember the last one. 
I'm so thankful the Presidential debates are over!  
6.  Can a person make too much money?  How much is too much?
I don't think the question should be "Can they make too much," but "What do they do with it?" I believe money doesn't belong to you; it belongs to the Lord so what He gives/takes away is His doing. Our greatest concern should be what we do with what we've been given.

7.  Pop-soda-coke-something else...what's it called where you live?

"Soda" here in northern Virginia.  However, I grew up calling it "sodie." Really.  Central IL in the 70's. We had us some culture back then.
8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Recently my husband gave me the gift of a MacBook Pro, my first laptop.  He and my older kids have migrated over from PC's to Mac's, but I was very resistant. I don't like change. (See previous post here.) Anyway, Mark was tired of being tech support for me and my often buggy PC and he talked me into getting a Mac. I literally cried everyday for the first week. I went around the house grousing and complaining. I threw little fits when I really wanted to throw the MacBook. I hated how everything was "backwards." I chided them with "don't tell me everything is intuitive. It would only be intuitive if you had never seen a computer before!" It certainly wasn't intuitive for a PC user.

Fast-forward...I LOVE my MacBook Pro. Love love love it! No bugs, and it can do that all my PC did and then some.  It really does make sense once you figure out how those Mac Designers think. I have ventured into more programs and applications and given them a try without the help of any instructional books (which I always needed when learning something new on a PC.)  All I've had to do is explain my "problem" and someone suggests a Mac solution that has already figured out how to solve it.  Like many Mac Users, I will never look back.

I get a chuckle when I go to work and get on a PC and try to navigate it like a Mac. There's a joy in knowing I've been converted. :) 

Brought to you by my MacBook Pro!

11 comments:

LynnMarie said...

We have been Mac fans since the early 80's. It all made sence to me and so I hated (and still do) working on a PC (PC at work). They just work!!! Welcome to the Mac side.

April said...

Hi Angie!
I was much the same way when Chris got me an iPad...I complained about it, convinced I would not like it. Well, that's all changed and I love it now! What was I thinking? I still sing "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog"...love that song!

gail said...

As the mother of a young man who is working for MicroSoft, no comment!

Great list. I will be back!

Angie said...

Gail, you make me smile. It wasn't long ago I was saying the same things. One of our dearest friends works for Microsoft too. We've gone to the dark side. :)

Cathy said...

My daughter loves her Mac too. Hubby and I are still PC fans. I agree with you on #1 for sure.

Rebecca Jo said...

I never knew what the hub bub of mac vs PC's were... to me, every computer is different anyways. Maybe I've just never dug deep enough in a Mac.

Yep - the smell of beer turns my stomach

Joyce said...

Is that sign yours? I am looking for a sign for my laundry room and I LOVE that one...where did you get it?

I'm a Mac convert too : )

Theresa said...

Oh yes, laundry...where does it all come from?!

Kara said...

Totally agree about the laundry! Yucky stuff. And you live in VA? I grew up in southwest VA. (I live in CA now.) How nice to meet a fellow southerner! Glad you like your Mac now. I've heard good things, but I'm still a PC user. While it keeps working, I'll stay a PC user. After it kicks the bucket, then I'll see.

Kara said...

PS I'm your newest follower! :)

Joyce Kaiser Shellenberger said...

Jeremiah was a bullfrog! What an instant throw back as that song started playing in my head - and picturing you swinging as you're singing. : ) How could that song be that annoying . . .