Saturday, August 1, 2009

Enjoy the journey

Can you believe it's August already? Part of me is so happy to be on the downward slope of hot and humid weather; the other part of me can't believe how quickly the summer has gone. It always speeds by quickly so I should get over being surprised.

My life is starting to ramp up, so to speak. I am working at my church on Sunday nights for 4 hours and then have to find 3 other hours during the week to make contact with volunteers for scheduling and training. It's been quiet during the summertime, but we're getting ready for Awanas and the work load is increasing.

I have also taken on the job of registration for our American Heritage Girls troop. We have A LOT of families...still don't have a clear number in mind so I don't want to exaggerate, but the paperwork for our troop is heavy. I have already spent about 12 hours just getting it organized and I probably have another 20 hours to go before I'm ready for the big carnival on August 22nd.

Plus, (do you think I'm crazy yet...no? wait for it...) my kids and I are participating in a co-op this year, every Thursday morning. I will be leading the 1st - 3rd grade choir (36 students) and the 7th & up Handbell choir (3 students so far, so I have to ring bells, as well - so we can play 4 & 6 part pieces.) I played handbells throughout college, but that was a loooong time ago. This music business will be a stretch for me, but as I told my family, "hopefully what I lack in knowledge will be made up in enthusiasm." Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself.

I'm also still organizing our church library on Tuesday afternoons and yes, still homeschooling.

I was whining to my husband about doing errands in the pouring rain yesterday. When I said, "I hate errands!" He quipped, "and laundry, cooking, cleaning." (Big grin!) Uh-huh. Would I be any happier if I had a maid? Maybe, a little. I try to find joy in the midst of doing the housework, but I am no domestic goddess. I do it well enough for me and my family, which is a far cry from the perfectionistic standards I held to during my twenties. I certainly wasn't any happier with a cleaner house and neither was my family. I figure that when they're all out of my house (in 12+ more years) I can go back to grout and baseboards if I so desire.

Isn't it interesting how just a little pun (and Mark meant nothing mean by what he said) can reveal your own spirit to you. I don't want my kids to think I hate everything I do around the house. I know they dread Fridays - cleaning day, so I think I have some attitude work to do.

Today I called three long-distance family members while I was ironing (have to take my mind off of that task any way I can...that's not going to change), but I enjoyed it. The time was filled with laughter and good stories. I cooked up a storm last night for our family and two of Ashley's college friends. Do I really enjoy cooking? No, not really. Do I enjoy good company around the table sharing a tasty meal? That, I love! So...maybe I'll try to use August, one of my busiest months, to try to enjoy the process of everything I do or at least, not vocalize my displeasure. We'll see if that makes for a happier home. Bound to do so, I think.

As my pastor would say, "Not a sermon, just a thought."

No comments: