Saturday, June 13, 2009

Balance in Life

Since we got back from our trip to IL I have been flying through my days. I've had club meetings, work trainings, house guests, schooling and A LOT of other things to do. Although some activities end for the summer, it still seems like I'm busier than ever. Does that happen to you?

I'm realizing that I will have to be purposeful about fitting in some of those leisurely summer activities...lingering over a BBQ, sitting around the pool, outdoor activities in the evenings, playing games, gardening, etc. I'm very task-oriented and usually have a longer to-do list than can ever be accomplished. I recall asking myself yesterday while scrubbing down a bathroom if I was trying to be "superwoman." Just trying to sort my priorities...a never-ending dilemma for me.

Any suggestions on how you enjoy those long summer evenings or how to be purposeful in setting aside the to-do list and take care of your relationships instead?

I recently wrote down my my "job description" and marvelled at how much I actually do accomplish. Here's a peek:

COO Responsibilities – Martens’ Household

Clothing:
Laundry (bedding)
Ironing
Mending
Selling
twice a year – exchanging

Food:
Planning (coupons)
Buying
Preparing
Storing

Bldg Maintenance:
Cleaning (day, mo, wk, qtr, yr)
Repairs
Plant care/Landscape

Shopping:
Toiletries/Household goods
Gifts/Cards
Clothing

Transportation:
Gas
Maintenance/Repair (Mark covers this!)
Clean

Correspondence:
Bdays/Ann/Holidays
Letters (pen pals)
Mail
Email/Electronic Comm.

Financial:
Bill Pay
Chore Pay
Record Keeping
Storage

School:
Planning/Preparation
Teaching
Grading
Classes
Library

Work/Groups:

MBC – Job & library
AHG – Registration & T. leader

Friends/Family:
Hospitality
Calls/Letters
Time spent with them

Children:
Physical – teeth/baths, Dr. appts
Spiritual – Bible Study, verses, bios
Emotional – love, communication
Intellectual – projects, activities

Personal:
Spiritual – Bible Study, prayer, verses
Physical – beauty, exercise, food, water, vitamins
Emotional – time alone, creative projects
Intellectual – reading & work

Is there any wonder I'm running through my days? :) I don't do most of it well. It seems like I make progress in one area and another one falls apart. I am learning that small time investments all around (instead of carving out 4 hours to accomplish a big task) is the best way to maintain some semblance of balance.

I also try to be "in the moment." For example, my girls had a birthday party to attend last weekend at a pool. I had so much to get done that day, but I left my phone and watch in the car and just enjoyed watching them swim and play with the other children. I enjoyed chatting with the other moms and was one of the last to leave. It was relaxing, refreshing and fun! Two and a half hours later I was ready to hit the to-do list again.

Maybe as women and mothers we're always trying to improve our caring and our productivity. I know it will never be perfect and I'm sure that my house will be cleaner when my kids are gone, but for right now I don't want to miss out on life and making memories.

1 comment:

still.sofia said...

I enjoyed reading how you categorized your families needs....so you :-) You are a great manager of your time! Enjoying and loving those around you, you making it all look so effortless.