Saturday, March 10, 2012

From Rest to Rejoicing

Psalm 118:24 (NKJV) This is the day the LORD has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.

I've had a very quiet week, one that brings rest to my soul - quiet from running to different activities, quiet to enjoy projects and family, quiet to begin spring activities at the farm - prepping the ground for a garden, holding baby chicks, grooming and feeding the horses. It's been peaceful and refreshing. Then today happened. I awoke with the anxiety of the upcoming week where I will be running to town more days than not, with presents to buy, projects to finish within deadlines - a busy calendar. The quiet seemed to rush out like a whirlwind. My blood pressure went up, my words became short, and my tone unpleasant. It felt like all the refreshment and peace had vanished. Can you relate? :) Then the Lord brought Psalm 118:24 to mind.

I have a choice. Will I rejoice and be glad in the respite I had, but also rejoice that I have many ways to enjoy my family and friends in the upcoming week. The tasks will get done, maybe not in the timeframe I desire, but the important stuff always gets done. My biggest challenge is to enjoy the journey. Remembering that He is in control (not me? not the calendar?!) and choosing a joyful response to the daily challenges is my responsibility. The world reflects self (impatience, intolerance), but we reflect Christ! That looks completely different. We're called to reflect His love and light with rejoicing and gladness. A thought I needed to remember today!

No comments: