Monday, December 6, 2010

Emmanuel: God With Us (Christmas Devotional # 1)

Please, join me for a Christmas devotional each day this week.


At Christmastime I enjoy taking the month of December to focus on the Christmas story during my devotional time. As I spend mornings meditating on the story of God's redemptive plan to clothe Himself in human flesh and dwell among us, the revelations into who the Lord is, continue to amaze and inspire me.

I am awed by Mary's answer in Luke 1:38,

"Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her."

A moment of clearly defined faith and obedience. How often I ask myself, "How did she get to the point where she could answer like that?" Couldn't your mind go in a million different directions, giving application over and over again? Yes, of course, and that's why I enjoy meditating on the Christmas story each year. The characters in the narrative are so vivid and we can learn so much.

I will be honest, I struggle with submitting to God with full abandon. I'm afraid. I have studied the lives of saints before me and the Lord ASKS so much of them. It doesn't feel safe. When fearful thoughts pervade my thinking, I am reminded that, although we have no idea what our future will be, the truth is that He will be with us. Mentally I've played out what I would do if the Lord took my spouse or my children away. The truth is that in the midst of the most difficult circumstances, I wouldn't be alone. God would be with me. Emmanuel: God with Us. As a believer, how often have we observed the world and wondered, "How do they live without Christ?" I can't imagine it!

So this week when you are faced with challenges, lack of sleep because of the long to-do list and added commitments, remember God is with you.

Deuteronomy 31:8 reminds us,

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

My prayer is that we will dwell in the fullness of His presence this season.

No comments: