Saturday, January 11, 2014

Walk Humbly With Our God

I am reading Exodus in my personal devotions and today I read chapters 32 & 33.  These two chapters have contrasting stories. In chapter 32 we see Moses on the mountain and the Israelites, with Aaron, at the foot of the mountain making a golden calf to worship.  God is ready to annihilate them, but Moses begs for their survival even before he gets down there to see it for himself.  In verse 24 we find Aaron blaming the people and I have to chuckle when he says, "and I cast it (the gold)  into the fire, and this calf came out."  It just popped out! Ha!  It reminds me of "she gave me the fruit and I ate it!" From Adam to Aaron to Angie, sin is still sin and God is not pleased with it. Many Israelites died because they chose to make a false god to worship. That was a sobering thought and made me ponder at this New Year what "little-g gods" I need to remove from my life?

Chapter 33 is a different story. There's still some problems. God can't dwell in the presence of a stiff-necked people so he's decided to meet Moses in a tent outside the camp.  Moses again begs God to return to dwelling in their midst so that the people will know that Moses has found grace in the sight of God.  I love verse 17, "So the Lord said to Moses, "I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in my sight, and I know you by name." Time has been spent together.  By the way, back in chapter 32 Moses said he was willing to be blotted out of the Book of Life in place of the people - a different picture than Aaron.

Moses then asks (33:18), "Please, show me your glory."  From there God places Moses in the cleft of the rock, covers him with His hand and walks by, allowing Moses to see God's back, for that is all Moses can behold with dying. 

I just sat back and thought, "Am I trying to worship anything more that God? Am I satisfied in His dwelling with me, that I've gotten complacent and can be drawn away by something false or am I asking to see more of God in my life? These are some good thoughts, I think, for the start of a new year.

My prayer for all of us is that we will walk humbly and faithfully with our God and that we will see more of Him this year.

2 comments:

Conny said...

I remember reading this same passage a few years ago and thinking much of the same thing (about the ridiculous of the whole golden calf fiasco, particularly) - and then thinking of my very own ridiculousness in repeating my own sins, covering them up with justifications, and realized I was not much better. :-/

I actually came to your blog to comment on the "Doing the Ordinary Well" post - but it is gone (or is it?). Anyway, I wanted to say AMEN to it ... considering I *am* an "ordinary hausfrau". :)

Angie said...

Yesterday I was trying to schedule it for Monday and the scheduling didn't work until I refreshed the page. That's why you saw it, I guess. It posted and then I had to take it off.