Hodgepodge Link up here.
1. So, when did you last take a walk in the woods? A stroll along the beach? A drive going nowhere in particular in the car?
A stoll down a country lane? A couple months ago.
2. Are you sending Christmas cards this year? About how many do you send? Photo card or something more traditional? How do you display the cards you receive?
Yes, I'm sending a little over 100 cards. This year I purchased inexpensive cards at a local store, but usually I buy high-end cards and include a letter and photo. Not this year, just didn't have it in me.
We display our cards in a box on the coffee table so we can look through them at our leisure. When the season is over all photos get updated in our Friends and Family album which is a small photo album kept on a shelf in our dining room.
3. What's a word you've heard too much of in the past week?
Busy. Yes, we're all busy. Welcome to America! I think busy is a frame of mind. You can engage in a lot of activity, but being prepared, getting enough sleep and not OVER-committing can allow you to do a lot with calm and peace. Not a sermon, just a thought.
4. December 13th is National Cocoa Day-are you a fan? Plain or flavored? Marshmallows or no marshmallows?
I enjoy hot chocolate. I like the flavored packets you can buy individually at the grocery store...raspberry, mint, hazelnut, caramel, supreme. No marshmallows, unless I'm having a fun "beverage moment" with the girls.
5. What is something you do to help alleviate the hectic pace of the Christmas season?
I have a Christmas folder - everything goes in it. Lists, addresses, ideas, plans, calendars. Everything Christmas. Many years ago on Christmas Eve (after a meltdown) I sat and wrote myself a letter about what I didn't want Christmas to be anymore. I always hated the season (and I hate the word "hate.") I decided that the traditions were only wonderful IF I could pull them off stress-free. That takes a lot of planning, letting go of expectations and reigning in my "let's do it all perfectly!" tendencies.
I am also purposeful about pampering myself. I dislike shopping...a ...lot! So I take myself out to a salad bar for lunch or grab a hot cocoa at Starbucks (which is not normal for me) or I might even purchase myself a small item for getting out there and getting it done. (new fabric!) Yep, I have to reward myself for shopping. Ha!
6. Besides jewelry, what's a favorite sparkly-glittery item in your home or closet?
The girls and I couldn't think of anything that belongs to me. I guess I'm not sparkly-glittery. The only thing I could think of are my daughters' clothes. They are super cute in sparkles & glitter!
7. Share a favorite line or two from any Christmas carol.
Ok, this year I am obsessed with How Many Kings by Downhere, maybe not quite a carol, but a Christmas song.
How many kings step down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
And how many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
8. Insert your own random thought here.